- Preparation: 5 minutes
- 4 tbsp (60mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Salted, divided
- 2 cups (500mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, medium, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 lb (625g) fresh or frozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/4 lb (625g) fresh or frozen small scallops
- 1 cup (250mL) dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 3 tbsp (45mL) flour
- 1 cup (250mL) Hewitt's - milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) IVANHOE - Old Cheddar, shredded and divided
- 2 cups (500mL) sourdough or baguette bread, coarsely cut
- Melt 1 tbsp (15mL) butter in a large non-stick saucepan on medium high. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add shrimp, scallops, wine and thyme to the pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until seafood is cooked. Drain, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Set aside seafood mixture.
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) more butter in same pan. Remove from heat and blend in flour; gradually stir in reserved broth and milk. Cook and stir on medium high until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat; add 1 cup (250 mL) of Cheddar and stir until melted. Fold in cooked seafood mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and toss with torn bread and remaining ½ cup (125 mL) Cheddar. Spoon seafood mixture into 6 individual baking dishes; sprinkle with cheese and bread mixture and broil until topping is toasted.
- Excellent source of calcium and iron.