- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation: 85 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) pasta sauce or stewed tomatoes
- 28 oz (796mL) tomatoes, diced (1 can)
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Salted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15mL) granulated sugar
- 20 jumbo pasta shells, approx.
- 2 cups (500mL) Nordica 2%
- 2 cups (500mL) IVANHOE - Mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup (125mL) parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 8 oz (250g) thawed frozen crab meat, drained well
- 4 green onions, minced
- 1/4 cup (50mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- In skillet set over medium heat, melt Gay Lea Salted Butter. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, hot pepper flakes and pepper; cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Pour in diced tomatoes, pasta sauce and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Spread half of sauce in bottom of 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta shells for about 12 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain well. Rinse under cold running water to cool. Drain again.
- In bowl, stir together Nordica Cottage Cheese, 1-1/2 cups of the Mozzarella, half of the Parmesan, egg, crab meat, onions, parsley and pepper. Spoon 2 tablespoons of crab filling into each pasta shell. Arrange shells in single layer on top of pasta sauce. Drizzle remaining sauce over; sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, in centre of preheated 375 F (190 C) over for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and filling is warmed through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Excellent source of folate and calcium.