- Yields: 32 meatballs
- Preparation: 1 hour
- 4 oz (125mL) BLACK RIVER - 1 Year Aged Cheddar, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 2 lb (1Kg) ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup (250mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (50mL) green onions, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup (50mL) cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup (50mL) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (50mL) honey
- 2 tbsp (30mL) rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix together turkey, breadcrumbs, onion, eggs, 2 cloves minced garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper until combined.
- Shape turkey mixture into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs. Insert cheese cube into centre of each meatball and shape meat over the cheese to enclose cheese cube fully. Place onto prepared pan, spacing out meatballs. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan set over medium heat, stir together sriracha, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil and remaining garlic; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Brush meatballs lightly with some of the glaze; return to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Brush lightly with some of the glaze; return to oven for about 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). To serve, drizzle meatballs with remaining glaze.
- Make meatballs with ground beef instead of turkey or chicken.
- Serve meatballs as a sandwich or stuffed into a pita with crunchy pickled vegetables.