- Preparation: 40 minutes plus cooling minutes
- 3/4 cup (175mL) large flake rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (175mL) pecan halves
- 1/2 cup (125mL) shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (50mL) coconut or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup (75mL) coconut or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 2/3 cups (150mL) unsweetened cashew beverage
- 1 cup (250mL) coconut milk, not light
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 (225g) GAY LEA - Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- toasted coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. (180°C). Combine oats, pecan halves, coconut and sugar in a food processor; pulse until mixture has consistency of graham cracker crumbs. Pulse in melted coconut oil until mixture clumps together.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of greased 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Bake, on bottom rack, for 22 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Filling: Meanwhile, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan; whisk in cashew beverage until smooth. Stir in coconut milk and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir vanilla. Pour into cooled pie shell. Cool to room temperature then chill for at least 2 hours or until set.
- Slice into wedges and serve topped with generous amount of coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- Coconut sugar adds a nutty caramel undertone to the pie but you can use granulated sugar if unavailable.
- Toast coconut on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet at 350°F (180°C) for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden.
- For coconut fans, stir an additional 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted coconut into the pudding before pouring into pie shell.
- For a gluten free dessert, ensure that all ingredient used, in particular the oats, are labeled "gluten-free".