- Yields: 75 minutes
- Preparation: Makes 48 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) all purpose flour, sifted (approx)
- 1/2 cup (125mL) cornstarch, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) lemon zest, finely grated (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) sugar, coarse
- 2 tbsp (30mL) dried lavender, finely chopped
- 1 egg whites, beaten
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar using an electric mixer, for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture; stir until just combined. Form dough into a 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) thick disc; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Roll dough out, on a lightly floured surface, to be 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut dough with a 2-inch (5 cm) cookie cutter of any shape. Re-roll scraps and cut additional cookies until all the dough is used. Place cutouts on parchment-lined baking sheets; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine coarse sugar with lavender. Lightly brush cookies with egg white and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Lightly press the tops to ensure the lavender sticks to the dough.
- Bake cookies, in batches, for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.