- Yields: Makes 32 shortbread bars
- Preparation: 75 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 vanilla bean, split and scrapped
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) icing sugar
- 2 egg, Omega 3
- 2 1/4 cups (550mL) rice flour, approx
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Beat the butter with the vanilla bean seeds until fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar until light; beat in the eggs. Whisk the rice flour with the salt and xanthan gum in a separate bowl. Gradually stir into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon (do not over-mix).
- Using the bottom of a dry measuring cup that has been coated with additional rice flour, press the dough evenly into a 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking pan lined with parchment paper. Score the top, with a thin knife, into 24 narrow bars. Dock the dough evenly with a fork.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until evenly golden all over. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes; use the parchment to lift the shortbread onto a rack to cool completely before slicing into bars.
- Flavour Twists: Try replacing the vanilla bean with other flavour additions such as finely grated citrus zest, ground cinnamon or cardamom or chopped dried fruit etc.
- Simple Substitution: Replace the vanilla beans with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract.
- Ingredient Source: Xanthan gum promotes a nicer texture in gluten free baking and can be found at bulk and health food stores.
- Baker’s Secret: Make vanilla sugar by combining the scraped vanilla bean pods with granulated sugar and let stand at room temperature for at least 3 days. Store the vanilla sugar in an airtight container to use in baking or to sweeten coffee and tea.