- 1/4 cup (60mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) dulce de leche or very firm caramel sauce
- 8 oz (1tbsp) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF (180ºc)
- Using an electronic mixer beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir flour into the butter mixture until dough just comes together. With lightly floured hands, press dough evenly onto the bottom of a greased or parchment lined 9 x 9 (2.5 L) pan and bake for 20 minutes or until pale gold in color. Remove from oven and cool completely. Gently warm Dulce de Leche or caramel in the microwave until is spreadable but not hot. Spread evenly over the shortbread base.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and Gay Lea butter. Melt on high gently for 1 minute. Stir chocolate/butter mixture until smooth. Pour chocolate evenly over Dulce/caramel and leave to set.
- Cut shortbread into 1 1/2" (3.725 cm) squares using a sharp knife.