- Yields: Makes 48 servings
- Preparation: 75 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150mL) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, in pieces
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500mL) almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (or pecans)
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) cranberries, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line bottom and sides of 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat butter with sugar until light. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour and salt. Press dough evenly into pan. Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside. Over medium heat in heavy bottomed saucepan, melt sugar with ¼ cup (50 mL) water, stirring until dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium high; cook, brushing down sides of pot often with water, for 10 minutes or until a deep golden caramel. Off heat, slowly whisk in cream. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2 minutes or until caramel is dissolved. Off heat, stir in remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over crust. Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is bubbling. Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares to serve.