- Yields: Makes 8 cookies
- Preparation: 65 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150mL) sugar, superfine
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) all purpose flour, approx
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Beat the butter with the sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Beat in the flour and salt until combined.
- Form the dough into a disk; chill for 45 minutes.
- Roll out the dough, on a lightly floured surface, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick.
- Use a 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) round cutter to cut out 24 circles (re-roll scraps as needed). Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, for 20 minutes or until pale golden. Cool completely on a rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk the milk with the sugar and cornstarch in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Beat a little of the hot milk mixture with the egg.
- Whisk the warmed egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the coconut, butter and rum.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the surface of the custard; cool completely.
- Centre 8 cookies on serving plates. Top each with an equal portion of the custard and banana slices.
- Repeat layers once and top with a final cookie.
- Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream, toasted coconut and additional banana slices.