- Yields: 16 to 24 crescent rolls.
- Preparation: 196 minutes
- 4 1/2 tbsp (65mL) instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) water, warm
- 5 tsp (25mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Unsalted, softened
- 1/4 cup (50mL) heavy cream (15% or 35%), room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50mL) Hewitt's - milk, room temperature
- 2 cups (500mL) bread flour
- 4 cups (1L) all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (12mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking soda
- 1 3/4 tsp (9mL) salt
- 2 cups (500mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Salted, melted, for brushing
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and stack each inside another baking sheet. You will have four sheets altogether, each double stacked.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yeast and water and let stand 1 minute. Whisk bread flour, sugar, egg and softened butter. Stir in cream, milk, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to make a soft dough.
- Spray dough with non-stick cooking spray and cover entire bowl, with a large plastic bag. Let rise 45-60 minutes until almost double in size.
- Gently deflate dough and divide in two. On a lightly floured work surface, roll one section at a time to a circle of 16". Using a cheese slicer or potato peeler, scatter 1 cup of butter slivers over surface of dough. Using a pastry wheel, cut the dough in 8-12 wedges. Roll each wedge into a croissant. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with second section of dough.
- Place crescents on baking sheets. Brush tops very generously with egg wash. Lightly cover with a large plastic sheet or bag and let rise until almost doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place in oven, after 30 minutes, lower temperature to 350° F and continue baking until rolls are deeply browned. Remove from oven and brush several times with melted, salted butter.
- Excellent source of folate.