- Preparation: 55 minutes
- 1/3 cup (75mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 3/4 cup (175mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (30mL) corn syrup
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50mL) Hewitt's - milk
- 1 tbsp (15mL) orange juice, or Grand Marnier
- 1 tsp (5mL) pure vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 12 slices raisin bread, day old and cut in half
- In small saucepan or microwave, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup until sugar begins to dissolve. Stir until smooth. Pour into 9” x 13” (3 L) glass baking dish; chill until hard. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, Grand Marnier, vanilla and salt.
- Place half of bread slices in single layer over chilled topping, and pour custard mixture over bread until just covered. Add another layer of bread slices, top with remaining custard. Cover and refrigerate on a flat surface overnight (8 to 12 hours).
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown, firm in centre to touch and not shiny in centre. Run a knife along outside edges to release, let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto serving platter, careful not to lose any syrup. Serve immediately.